Saturday, January 21, 2006

Why Don't I Just Shoot Myself in the Foot?

Okay, I owe the judges of the Lulu Blooker Prize an apology. In my last post, I called them all 45 plus and one of them is five years younger than I am. Not only that, I also inferred that they were less than hip and happening folk.

In my dumb defense, I was so excited about the competition that I didn't have time to read their bios, I just looked at their pics and made a judgment across the board. Ironic isn't it? I just committed an act against another that I've been fighting against all my life--that people look at me and just see an African American female and because of that, make sweeping judgments.

1) Lazy
2) Sub par intelligence
3) Ghetto fabulous

And I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea.

There I was scrolling along, when I thought I'd check the Blooker Blog to see if there were any updates. I clicked on over there and there was one! A reminder of the contest deadline and an update of the blogs submitted.

Oh joy! AIJAN was proudly listed in the sidebar with my name and everything. So I clicked on it and began re-reading the post. Oh No!

Reading it as though I were one of the judges, it could have been considered offensive. So I made changes to the original text, but now I'm thinking... after all the hard work I put into the blook as well as that of my editor, layout artist and graphic artist to sideline myself with a comment that could be deemed offensive by someone who is not as familiar with my thought processes as you are.

Darn... why don't I just shoot myself in the foot?

Anyway, it is my hope that the judge who posted the link, was so busy he didn't have a time to read my post.

I'm sorry guys!

Signed:
Humbled Author,
Dee

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It takes a lot of guts to post an apology.

Congratulations.

It was well written too.

D.S. White said...

Hey Allan,

Thanks for the encouragement. I figure the apology should be as public as the offense.

Peace,
Dee